was raised Catholic. I was also raised to respect other's views and have, through out my life, formed varying opinions on organized religion. I still go to mass (though we go on Sat nights) and Remi was Christened in a Catholic church.
A few weeks ago MIL took Remi to her church on Wed evening. He's been several times since, and I've always let him go if she asks to take him. I do want him to be exposed to other religions.
Yesterday, for Mother's Day she asked us to go to church with her. I agreed (though DH refused.) It was Mother's Day. The leader (they don't give them titles for some reason) could have spoken about Mary. He could have chosen a topic about a Mother's love, the role of Mother's in raising children. ANY number of topics about Mom's. He chose, instead, to do a sermon about how all of the churches that call themselves non denominational (except of course for their's) is misleading and essentially wrong in all of their beliefs. He referred to the Bible for ONE verse in which James refers to the gathering as The Church and the rest was essentially his opinion. He also spoke about how those who attended churches that proclaimed a certain denomination (mentioning specifically Methodist and Baptist) were "misled" and "misconstruing the word of Christ."
Now, as I said, I don't think any one religion is right or wrong (though I have my issues with some of the more extreme) but I was just appalled at this sermon. I certainly don't want my child going to a church who is telling him his mother is going to h*ll b/c she's Catholic. I don't want to alienate MIL since DH and FIL own a business together and MIL keeps Remi for 2 hours in the morning while I work. I also have very strong feelings on letting him go back to this church. I have no idea how to handle this!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Would she go to Church with you? You could tell her you want to teach acceptance to your son by letting him see the people he loves going to both churches.
And that pastor reminds me of a Baptist one that officiated over the funeral of my cousin. She was only 23 or so, and died of lung cancer (but never smoked or been around smokers). She was a beautiful Christian woman, a stay at home mom, a loving, giving wife...all that was good.
She had no eulogy that expressed all her goodness. Instead, I think the minister knew he had a lot of Catholics there, and preached hellfire and brimstone for those who could not follow the true path.
*sigh* I was so pissed for my cousin.
Post a Comment