Sunday, May 4, 2008

Lesser of Two Evils

Thankfully for me I live in a fairly gun friendly state. However once I got my CCL a few years ago I, of course, became noticeably more aware of the No Weapons signs on local business' doors. Now as a rule, if at all possible, I just avoid these stores. However being that I live in a small town occasionally this just isn't feasible. So once I found out that your first offense for carrying a weapon where it is prohibited is a misdemeanor with a $300 fine I decided to basically ignore the posted sign and carry anyway. With the exception of government buildings. I'm rebellious, not stupid.

My friend was appalled at this until I pointed out that the business owners would never know and that if for some reason they DID find out it would be in the unlikely event that I felt pressed to defend a life (mine or someone else's.) So I guess I've just decided that being able to protect my self regardless of some corporation's political views is more important to me than a misdemeanor charge and a few hundred bucks. I think my life, and those of my family, is worth $300 don't you?

2 comments:

Sevesteen said...

This is pretty much my attitude now, except in my state the felony-to-carry places also include anyplace that serves alcohol and churches unless you have permission. I'll risk a misdemeanor, not a felony. I also won't risk my job.

SpeakerTweaker said...

I wish I could do that.

In TX, the "No Gun" signs are rubbish, and the law says so clearly. However, we do have what's called Binding Signage here. If the proper signage is placed in the right spot, say, in a grocery store, then it's criminal tresspass by CHL holder.

Because of the rules imposed on TX CHL (Concealed Handgun License), if you find yourself convicted of ANY crime that is above a C Misdemeanor (basically, anything above a traffic ticket) you in deep doo-doo. B- or above misdemeanor covicts get no CHL for five years. Felons lose CHL privileges permanently.

If the risk of CHL loss weren't attached, I'd likely not give hoot about the signage, either. However it is my belief that while a "No Guns" sign represents little, those who would go through the trouble to post binding signage are most certainly anti-gun (and anti-thought) and will receive exactly $0 of MY money. Only exception being hospitals and banks, both of which always have the binding signage.



tweaker