Saturday, October 20, 2007

You have GOT to be kidding me.

I've always said that if you want to feel better about your parenting, go to Wal Mart. I dislike Wal Mart. Strongly dislike. Really. Hate. Wal Mart. I find it disturbing that in one store I can buy transmission fluid, peanut butter, and a blonde wig. However when you need puff pastry at 7 pm your options are limited. So off I go.

I'm not a big shopper. I don't do nay shopping unless I need something. I'm a get in, get out kinda gal. So I bee line to the pastry and bee line for the check out line. As I'm standing there a woman (dressed to the nines) and her 4ish year old daughter get behind me. I notice this cute little girl is wearing an adorable little purple track suit and as I'm wishing my next baby is of the female variety the little girl turn to her mama. And on her butt the word FLIRT is proudly embroidered. I about choked on my gum.

This country has more than our fair share of child predators. What kind of bubble headed idiot woman with half a brain decides to put her fourfreakingyear old child on display?!? Why for the love of all that is holy would you give anyone any reason to look at your toddler's rear end? I'm 25 years old and I don't even want strange men looking at MY ass. I catch some perv checking out my four year old and he's going to get to meet Mr. Walther up close and freaking personal because I will shoot his ass.

The depths that this society has sunk to baffle me. First some name brand company has the audacity to market thong underwear to 7 year olds. Then a middle school decides to prescribe birth control pills to 11-13 year old. Now toddlers are wearing suggestive phrases on their posterior.

Where are the parents? That little girl certainly didn't purchase that outfit herself. You'd be hard pressed to convince me her grandmother bought it. If I tried to dress my child that way my husband would set me straight in a heart beat. What was that woman thinking? Or was she thinking at all?

My son is almost three. I'm petrified to think about what kind of girls he's going be going to high school with. Hopefully by the grace of God and some good parenting he'll turn out to be a good kid. But it's going to take some seriously hard work to compete with what I'm up against.

Things they are a changin. I hope with everything I'm worth that there are more parents out there who think like my husband and I and that maybe, just maybe, we can hold off the evil forces that surround us for a few more generations.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't get me started on the whole school-as-prescriber concept. It's ridiculous and speaks to something that I think is ominous happening in our society. When schools can prescribe - not only OCs but also deign to insist the the kids take ADHD medication based on their own (nonmedical) assessments, and then threaten to pull the kids into foster care when parents refuse, I shudder.

I sing the praises of private schools for this and many other reasons. Neither of mine has ever set foot in a public school and I credit that for part of how they're turning out. Allows me as a parent more control over the rate and level of their exposure to certain things so they're not bombarded with more than they can handle all at once. Also allows us as tuition-paying parents to exert more control and more involvement in the kids' education and it also forces them to comply with certain standards of conduct (and dress) in order to remain in that school.

As to the girl's track suit, you haven't seen Pimpfants.com have you? Nightmares there, trust me on that.

Lindsey said...

*sigh* It really does get worse doesn't it? I've got a few years to find a school for my son. I hope I'm as lucky with the one I find as you are.

SpeakerTweaker said...

Revolting. I catch The Little Girl even LOOKING at a thong when she's seven, and I'm going on a full-postal rampage in Wal-Mart's executive offices.

Read my pinnacle of experiences in Wally-World here:

http://speakertweaker.blogspot.com/2007/03/whatd-he-just-say.html

Pardon the self-pimping;)



tweaker

Lindsey said...

Tweaker- I'm not sure at what point parents have forgotten toput the fear of God into their young children but it's about time that particular practice is revived.