Tuesday, June 5, 2007

For the love of Pete

Glenn Beck had my favorite home state Senator Jim Inhofe on the show today to discuss his proposal to make English the official language. The proposal is currently opposed by every Democratic Senator. He needs 10 Democrats to pass the bill.
I'm personally conflicted about the proposal. I would hate for it to affect the languages of the many Native American tribes in my state, but then again they aren't the ones bitching about it. I know it would save the state of California a ton of money what with only having to print signs in one language.But I also think that we're doing our children a disservice by not insisting that they become bilingual like most of Europe is. It makes you more marketable professionally and makes travelling easier. But I can also see the numerous benefits and I think they outweigh any cons I may conceive.
Aside from all that I'd like to award the Stupidest Thing I've Heard Today to Senator Dick Durbin. He said (and I quote) 'bloods of illegal immigrants would be on your hands because'---get out your duct tape---'we would have to take down the no swimming signs (that are in Spanish) along the border' thus, more illegals will drown.'
I shit you not.
First of all (and this is going to piss someone off) isn't that one way to help the immigration influx? Second of all, what's stopping the Mexican government from posting their own damn signs? Why is it suddenly OUR responsibility to save other country's citizens from being dumbass's? We can't keep people like Inas and Paris Hilton from becoming victim's of social Darwinism, now we're trying to take on the rest of the world's bottom rung? Yeah, seems like good solid government logic.
I'm also thisclose to steaming about the fact that they can't seem to stop focusing on what to do with the illegals we have here instead of stopping the flow from the border. You cannot deal with those already here until you stop them from coming in the first place. I'm borrowing an example I heard from the aforementioned Mr Beck (though I'm not quoting him exactly)- Imagine your upstairs bathtub is overflowing. I mean dripping through the ceiling full. Your going to have to redo the flooring, the drapes, the walls. Now would the smart thing to do be to call the interior decorator to come and asses the damage and talk about what color paint to use or to GO TURN OFF THE DAMN WATER? You cannot deal with the water damage until you stop it from flowing.
So everyone needs to (and I mean right the hell now) go and write/call/email/visit your Senator and ask them to please support Sen. Inhofe's proposal. It isn't a fix but it's a damn good start.

No comments: