Saturday, June 2, 2007

If I wanted to be read to....

I'd have stayed in kindergarten. I'm taking online courses through the local university. Three classes this summer and another 3 this fall (plus one on campus.) So I log into the software last night and load all my classes so that I can read the syllabus, course requirements, assignments and so on. I shit you not, two of the class syllabus' say something to the effect of "I'm a lazy professor who's only here b/c during my retirement I realized just how boring my life actually was. So while I'm here collecting a paycheck what I need you to do is read the textbook. That's it. Just read the damn thing and take the tests so I can get my kickbacks for requiring that you buy that particular book that cost so much it should be plated in gold and rubies."

These are not bullshit classes. This is my MASTER'S degree for christssake. Maybe I was expecting a little much just b/c I paid $75 a credit hour for these courses. Maybe I'm naive enough to think that my professor, who's knocking down six figures a year, might actually be motivated to teach me something instead of testing my cognitive reading ability.

I'm in my mid 20's. I got a Bachelor's degree, got married, had a child. I have what the college likes to refer to as "life experience." I KNOW that college is more than just studying to obtain a degree. What about the young kids? The 21 year old's who are starting a master's program and honestly think that as long as they can memorize information they can survive in a actual job. Because reciting information back to professors is all they've ever had to do.

What happens when they get into social work and have to share an office with a woman that could direct a NASA launch with all of the unnecessary electronic devices she has strapped to her person and is more concerned about what she's doing after work that the beaten, starving child she's supposed to be helping? Are they gong to have the balls to stand up to her and remind her that the world is made up of millions of planets in millions of universes and not a damn one of them revolve around her? Are they going to be able to realize that protocol is a wonderful guideline, but that if you want to save a child's life, sometimes you have to step out of that nice little box you've built yourself and *think on your own?*
I can say with absolute certainty that with this type of educational professionals (and I use that term loosely) teaching, that the future generation of social workers is going to manage to fuck up the system even worse than it is now. Makes me wish I'd gone into politics where no one actually expects you to accomplish anything.

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help!"- Ronald Reagan (loved this man's sense of humor)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you. ;)

Lindsey said...

Back at ya Babs!