If you, for some g*d forsaken reason, feel the need to discuss with someone you barely know the number of children she's chosen to have the least you can do is respect her decision.
Now that rugrat is almost 2 1/2 that does not mean "it's time for another." And when I reply "Oh no, he's it." do not take that as an invitation to convince me otherwise. First of all having another child so that the one I have will have a playmate is one of the most idiotic reasons to conceive. If he needs someone to play with I'll take him to the playground or buy him a dog.
Second of all don't assume all only children are miserable. I'm an only child and have always been ecstatic about it. Also it's unfair to assume that those with siblings are happy. My husband is the youngest of five (3 boys, 2 girls) and wouldn't spit on his sisters if they were on fire. He only speaks to one of his brothers with any regularity and has only seen his other brother twice in 4 years. So just b/c you're close with your siblings doesn't mean that others are as well.
Also you might want to consider that some of us don't really want more children than we can afford. You aren't doing anyone any favors by forgoing the birth control and letting the rest of us taxpayers support your "gifts." If we had another child my son probably wouldn't wearing the clothes he wears or have a living room that looks like Toys 'R Us threw up. And for those of you who say money can't by happiness I say you've either never been broke or you haven't been in a public high school lately. Kids are mean, besides I'm much happier knowing I can comfortably pay my electric bill. My husband makes decent money and we put a fair amount into savings. I'd like to keep it that way.
Lastly you might want to think twice about broaching the subject of more children until you have the whole story. I spent several thousand dollars and 18 painful months hoping that I could get pregnant and dealing with the awful side effects of fertility drugs. And when I finally did get pregnant I spent the first 12 weeks hoping that this one would stick. Not to mention the months of reflux and the 18 staples it took to close up my emergency cesarean. I'd rather not live through that hell again.
I'd never begrudge anyone children if they really want them. Though I might have some disdain if you have 4 kids with 3 different men and never have any electric to heat the house with. So for the love of Pete have the same respect for those of us who choose to have small families.
The easiest decision I have ever made was only to have one child.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I am SO glad we didn't have the Mommy Police on the internet - or even the internet to have the Mommy Police on when my kids were small. I've heard the stories. Yikes.
LOL I got this inquisistion at Target yesterday from the woman in line behind me!
Geez...some people.
Post a Comment